   Re: [xml-dev] using schemaLocation to point multiple same namespaceschem

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your reply. The spec seams a little contradictive to me,
since it urges me to use

<p1:root xmlns:p1="NS_URI1"
  xsi:schemaLocation="NS_URI1 schemaLocation1"

to bind a schema (location) to a namespace URI, while allowing
processors to ignore the second URI and try to resolve the schema using
the first one... this does not "degrade well"...

Also:
Jeni Tennison wrote:
[...]

> This option implies that if you already have a schema for a given
> namespace then there is no need to find another one.

True but different practices collide (see above).

What about the case of:

<p1:root xmlns:p1="URI1" xmlns:p2="URI2"
xsi:schemaLocation="URI1 schemaLocation1 URI2 schemaLocation2"

The mess is getting worse here... [1] says that

"The means used to locate appropriate schema document(s) are processor
and application dependent, subject to the following requirements: "

Where requirement #3 says that for each pair of URIs in the
schemaLocation attribute, the first is used as the namespace URI to bind
the schema document to, and the second as the the schema document
location. Also:

"Unless directed otherwise, for example by the invoking application or
by command line option, processors should attempt to dereference each
schema document location URI in the·actual value·
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-1-20010502/#key-vv> of
such|xsi:schemaLocation|"[...]

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-1-20010502/#schema-loc

Kindest regards,