   Re: [xml-dev] Subtyping in XML

Jeff Lowery scripsit:

> I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we seem to narrow our
> definitions of universal types to only those that have validatable
> membership and universal representation.  There are a lot of well-understood
> types they fail both criteria.
>
> Prime numbers.

Say what?  Every prime number has a unique lexical representation,
and there is an effective test for telling primes from non-primes.
That looks like universal representation and validatable membership to me.
Whether it's important to any particular user to actually validate is
another concern.  If so, the receiver just specifies a local scheme that
specifies xsd:integer rather than jl:prime as the type.

Now if you wanted a type without either, consider "beautiful thoughts".

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing