   Re: [xml-dev] SGML queries

Arjun Ray wrote:

> ... until the time someone innocently leaves the title blank.
>
> :  <section>
> :    <para>The laundry basket has a long and fascinating history...
>
> This throws a validation error (<title> is not omissible if the element
> has no content.)

By virtue of the fact that the start tag is omissable, the title *is*
required. Tag omission in the situation that you describe above is
orthogonal to the desire to create invalid data.

On a deeper level, perhaps a title is the primary indication that a new
section has started, otherwise the markup people might mark every para
as a different section with a blank title...

> Some people may try to "fix" this kind of problem - sometimes you really
> can't think of a title - with pernicious mixed content:
>
>   <!ELEMENT section - - (#PCDATA,para+) >

Now you're basing the structure on what you saw in the data - this whole
discussion is premised on the idea that the analysis has been carried
out and the title *is* required. My example provides the means to
support the structure economically.

> | I'm surprised that there's so little enthusiasm for this -
>
> We all learn the hard way...

Just keep practising - I'm sure you'll get the hang of it some day.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mcarr@allette.com.au
        - Einstein