   Re: [xml-dev] SGML queries

Marcus Carr <mcarr@allette.com.au> wrote:
| Arjun Ray wrote:
|
| > ... until the time someone innocently leaves the title blank.
| [...]
| By virtue of the fact that the start tag is omissable, the title *is*
| required.

Yes, we (qua DTD designers) know this.  To guard against *inadvertent*
error - which was my point - the user would have to be given a different
explanation or rule of thumb ("Always provide title text, don't leave that
part blank!")  If they internalize this, very good.

I've found "Always start text with a tag that describes it" much easier to
teach.  Diff'rent strokes fer diff'rent folks...

| Tag omission in the situation that you describe above is orthogonal to
| the desire to create invalid data.

Sorry, I don't understand this.  Who said anything about *wanting* to
create invalid data?

|> | I'm surprised that there's so little enthusiasm for this -
|>
|> We all learn the hard way...
|
| Just keep practising - I'm sure you'll get the hang of it some day.

BTDT.  LTRI.