   Re: [xml-dev] SGML queries

From: "Arjun Ray" <aray@nyct.net>

> I've found "Always start text with a tag that describes it" much easier to
> teach.  Diff'rent strokes fer diff'rent folks...

It is possible to have an SGML-based syntax that, like XML, does not
require a DTD for parsing, yet allows much useful end-tag ommission.

This syntax is pretty much what the XML, HTML and SGML modes on most
coloring editors use, and it has been given an name as part of ISO 8879:
"amply-tagged" rather than "well-formed".

It only requires a couple of simple changes to an XML parser to create an
amply-tagged parser, and still generate SAX events.

People who are interested in this might care to look at the note
"Editor's Concrete Syntax (ECS): a Profile of SGML for Editors"
at http://www.topologi.com/tme1-0/tme1-0-win-2002-09-09a.zip
which gives some details of the approach I have been taking.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe