   Re: [xml-dev] The 11-pound solution to your XML problems

On Thursday 12 September 2002 16:55, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> At 07:05 AM 9/12/2002 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
> >No, it's not a hammer: http://www.datapower.com/products/xa35.html
> >
> >Gotta love that nifty green paint job.  -Tim
>
> This may revolutionize XML the same way that the dedicated Britton-Lee and
> Teradata machines revolutionized relational databases.
>
> Yawn.
>
> Am I growing cynical in my old age?

I can't lose the feeling that something here is terribly, drastically, wrong
here. Nobody ever made an XDR (eXternal Data Representation, not the other
one) accelerator, an ASN.1 BER accelerator, or anything like that. Why should
you need special hardware for the minor issue of how you encode your
information? I mean, if it's a complex encoding technique like data
compression or encryption then sure, but XML isn't like that. This is crazy!
Something's wrong!

> Jonathan

ABS

--