   Re: [xml-dev] The 11-pound solution to your XML problems

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 05:22:35PM +0100, Alaric B. Snell wrote:
> I can't lose the feeling that something here is terribly, drastically, wrong
> here. Nobody ever made an XDR (eXternal Data Representation, not the other
> one) accelerator, an ASN.1 BER accelerator, or anything like that.

Nobody ever made XDR or ASN.1 a household word, either.

> Why should
> you need special hardware for the minor issue of how you encode your
> information? I mean, if it's a complex encoding technique like data
> compression or encryption then sure, but XML isn't like that.

You *need* special hardware to accelerate your XML processing
because that $1,000,000 StarCat you bought last year is burdened
by unused *generic* processing components.  Everyone knows that
special purpose hardware can easily get an order of magnitude
performance increase over general purpose computers.  It doesn't
matter what performance metric you use -- MIPS/pound, TB/liter or
GFLOPS/watt -- the special purpose hardware *always* offers better
performance.

Plus, this XML Accelerator comes in a pretty green 1U enclosure.  And it
has those cute *go-faster* stripes on the side!

> This is crazy!
> Something's wrong!

Yep.  Someone left the keys to the webserver on the table and the
marketing guys found them.

Z.