   Re: [xml-dev] Re: SAX is not a read-only API (wa RE: [xml-dev] re: XML S

> You know, I could use JDBC to write a ContentHandler that feeds data into
> a database. That doesn't make SAX a database API.

Good point...

> The biggest problem with the idea that merely invoking methods in
> ContentHandler  somehow qualifies as writing XML, is that there are
> absolutely no constraints or rules on this behavior. You can use
> element names that contain spaces, text content that contains nulls,
> ignorable white space that's alphabetic, multiple root elements, and
> other wise freely violate almost every constraint of XML. In normal
> SAX processing the parser ensures that this doesn't happen. In direct
> invocation of ContentHandler methods, none of this is happening. If
> it's not well-formed, it's not XML.

In the cases where this is done often the user has the option of using a
WellFormednessFilter somehwere in the pipeline to check the ouput. For
example, the GNU JAXP project (which houses AElfred2) does this. So does the
AElfred2 project for Pascal. So the idea of writing and checking well
formedness is not completely hopeless. Additionally in the GNU JAXP the
ValidationConsumer can be used in a pipeline to facilitate validation
checking as the document is created. This is not API specific, but it is
defintely common to some of the major implementations of the API.

Cheers,
Jeff Rafter
Defined Systems
http://www.defined.net
XML Development and Developer Web Hosting