   re: XML SIG 17 September: Elliotte Rusty Harold on What's Wrong with XM

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: re: XML SIG 17 September: Elliotte Rusty Harold on What's Wrong with XML APIs (and How to Fix Them)
  • From: Sean McGrath <sean.mcgrath@propylon.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:46:49 +0100

[W. E. Perry]

 >> Elliotte Rusty Harold has spent the last year exhaustively documenting
 >> the existing APIs, and this convinced him that better APIs are
 >> desperately needed.

[Martin Klang]
 >or maybe in many cases you could do away with the API's altogether?

Yes. There is, it seems to me, as potent a bifurcation between API-centric
XML and notation-centric XML as there is between data heads
and doc heads. There two are related, perhaps two sides of the same coin, I
don't
really have a handle on it but this article
http://www.itworld.com/nl/xml_prac/04182002/
gives a flavour of the itch I'm trying to scratch.

Sean