   RE: [xml-dev] [Fwd: The problems with Xlink for integration languages]

Uche Ogbugi wrote:

>The HTML WG is contradicting itself.

>You seem to be claiming that you have no mandate to develop an AF-like
>solution.

I'm not seeing any contradictions.

The HTML WG mandate, to quote from the charter [1] is exactly:
"Develop solutions for linking in the XHTML Family."

On the other hand, the Linking charter [2] expires at the end of 2002, and
states
"the working group does not expect to ask for another extension: further
work in this area beyond the requested duration will likely require either a
newly chartered working group or transfer of responsibilities to other
working groups"

So it seems that for the time being, we're stuck with two different
approaches. Either a newly chartered group or the "transfer responsibilities
to other working groups" part seems promising, but I still feel like I
haven't heard both sides of the story.

[In particular, after the linking folks reaching consensus on requirement
B.2 [3], I'm curious about what kind of difficulties led to the seeming lack
of consensus on meeting that requirement. If sharp rocks are hidden in those
waters, we're all better off knowing about them.]

Thanks,

.micah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/05/html/charter
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/12/xmlbp/xml-linking-wg-charter.html