   Re: [xml-dev] ( Slightly off topic ) JMS and other messaging

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 14:26, Maciejewski, Thomas wrote:

> Anyway. Does any one here use XML and messaging?

Not with XML, no, but JMS is useful for me.

Case 1: Our application lets lots of people edit the same stuff. We use a JMS
topic for clients to register for notification of changes so they can show
other people's actions. Fairly standard stuff.

Case 2: One module processes a big list of little tasks, but needs to
acknowledge completion of them with the server. This is often what it blocks
on since acknowledgement requires locks on certain database structures. What
we're moving towards is having the module submit its completion acks into a
persistent queue, and a low-priority thread on the server sort
them out in a single sequence (avoiding all the database locking
overheads...) when there's nothing better to do. Submitting the acks into the
queue should be a fast operation, therefore not keeping worker threads
hanging around so much.

ABS

--
A city is like a large, complex, rabbit