   Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft's vision of data and the role of XML in that con

Joshua Allen scripsit:

> We made heavy investments in the "pull model" of parsing as an
> alternative to event-based parsing ala SAX.  It is possible to do "pull
> until match" and raise events to get the same effect as SAX, but we felt
> that the pull model was more approachable for the average developer.

I quite agree: it is superior because of its better fit with programmer
insight.  Files, pipes,  database cursors behave in just this way: pull to read,
push to write.

> Normally a navigator implies buffering, while the forward-only cursor
> implies no buffering, but this really depends on implementation of a
> particular XML store.

Excellent.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side