   Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft's vision of data and the role of XML inthat con

At 2:58 PM -0700 9/18/02, Tim Bray wrote:

>Yep, I suspect that .Net learned from experience and got this one
>right and pull parsing is the way to go in the future.  The first 3
>XML parsers (Lark, NXP, and expat) all were event-driven because...
>er well that was 1996, can't exactly remember, seemed like a good
>idea at the time. -Tim

If I had to guess, I'd say that parser authors were probably
designing the API that seemed most natural to them. That is, they
were writing parsers so they put the parser in control. However,
that's exactly backwards from the perspective of the client
programmer looking out from other side of the mirror. :-)