   Re: [xml-dev] Is there a difference that makes a difference betwe en top

* Claude L. Bullard

| Thanks Lars.  That is a good explanation.

Glad to be able to help. :-)

| The model you present starts from topic map.

No, actually it started from the DTD in the ICH ICSR standard, unless
you mean that the process was entirely driven by a topic map, as
opposed to an RDBMS or something like it.

| [...use of data dictionary snipped...]
|
| So I see the use of the topic maps but it still seems to be almost a
| stylistic preference.  I'm still not sure if it is better, worse, or
| about the same functionality.

I think that as long as you want to stay within the traditional limits
of what a data dictionary of the type you describe is and does it
would be just a stylistic preference and not much else. Similar to
deciding whether to use CSV files or XML.

You'd begin to get benefits from topic maps when you wanted to do more
than just drive a GUI with the dictionary, for example by connecting
the dictionary to related information from other sources. That might
be definitions of the fields, background documents, mappings to XML,
etc etc