Lists Home |
Date Index |
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft's vision of data and the role of XML in that context
- From: Sean McGrath <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:39:35 +0100
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>> We made heavy investments in the "pull model" of parsing as an
>> alternative to event-based parsing ala SAX. It is possible to do "pull
>> until match" and raise events to get the same effect as SAX, but we felt
>> that the pull model was more approachable for the average developer.
>I quite agree: it is superior because of its better fit with programmer
>insight. Files, pipes, database cursors behave in just this way: pull
>push to write.
That pull-to-read, push-to-write thing is the whole idea behind the
pipe friendly PYX notation (http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/03/15/feature/)