   Underwhelmed (WAS: [xml-dev] XOM micro tutorial)

Michael Fitzgerald wrote,
> If you are interested and want an on-ramp, I've written a very quick
> micro tutorial. It assumes that you are comfortable with Java. Here
> ya go:
<snip/>

> public class Date {

<snip/>

I'm afraid I don't find this example particularly compelling, because it
invites a comparison with,

  public class Date
  {
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
      System.out.print(
        "<?xml version="1.0"?>\n"+
        " <date type="ISO">\n"+
        " <year>2002</year>\n"+
        " <month>09</month>\n"+
        " <day>20</day>\n"+
        "</date>\n"
      );
    }
  }

and loses,  big time.

Any tree-like API lives or dies by its ease of use for traversal and
manipulation rather than simple construction and serialization. And
there I just don't see XOM as sufficiently different from the DOM or
JDOM or DOM4J to get particularly excited about. Yeah, it's a bit
cleaner, a bit more idiomatic for Java ... but is that enough?

Cheers,

Miles