   RE: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS: [xml-dev] XOM micro tutorial)

Miles Sabin wrote:
> I'm afraid I don't find this example particularly compelling,

Not everyone will agree, but this is what I like about XOM: It is
underwhelming. Take another tiny example:

import nu.xom.*;

public class Tiny {

    Element tiny = new Element("tiny");
    Document doc = new Document(tiny);
    System.out.println(doc.getStringForm());

  }

}

What I mean is that in 3 lines (4 with import), XOM produces a well-formed
XML document. How many lines would it take to do that with a Java
implantation of SAX or DOM? Economy of keystrokes is important to me -- not
the only consideration, but important to me. I suspect other care about that
too. XOM passes the test of:

* simplicity
* readability
* typeability

in my book. I guess I like it for the same reasons I like RELAX NG's compact
syntax.

> because it invites a comparison with,
>
>   public class Date
>   {
>     public static void main(String[] args)
>     {
>       System.out.print(
>         "<?xml version="1.0"?>\n"+
>         " <date type="ISO">\n"+
>         " <year>2002</year>\n"+
>         " <month>09</month>\n"+
>         " <day>20</day>\n"+
>         "</date>\n"
>       );
>     }
>   }

Sure, but, in my little micro tutorial, which was not meant to be
compelling, all I am gave XOM was a few names; it handles well-formedness in
the serialization for me. I like that too.

I'm going to give XOM a fighting chance.

Mike