   Re: [xml-dev] InnerXml is like printf (WAS: Underwhelmed)

m batsis wrote,
> So, supposing our library features a prefix of 'MM_', we would need
> something like the following in Mozilla.
>
> // standard way to create an element in Moz
> var oElem = document.createElement("p");
>
> // should be extended to also accept
> var oElem = document.createElement(new MM_Element("<p>some
> text</p>"));
>
> // which is equal to
> var oElem = document.createElement("p");
> var sNode =  document.createTextNode("some text");
> oElem.appendChild(sNode);

Ahh ... I see what you mean.

Well, until now I was only thinking of this as being applicable to a new
generic XML APIs like XOM.

But now you mention it, I guess a template string syntax could be both
API and host language neutral ... the only qualification being possible
clashes with particular host language conventions for character
escapes. Which is guess isn't much of a surprise: it works for regular
expressions.

So I guess that means that something like this could be retrofitted to
JDOM, dom4j, JAXB (as Arjun suggested) and the W3C DOM across all
language bindings. If that were so, then the obvious thing to do would
be to simply add some new constructors/factory methods, eg. for the
Mozilla DOM,

  var oElem = document.createElementFromTemplate("p/text(sometext)");

Oh, and BTW: Hungarian Notation is _still_ an abomination ;-)

Cheers,

Miles