   Re: [xml-dev] InnerXml is like printf (WAS: Underwhelmed)

On Sunday 22 September 2002 04:03, Miles Sabin wrote:
> m batsis wrote,
>
> > Speaking of object hierarchies, I noticed the declaration
> >
> > Element foo = ...
> >
> > Which means you either need hooks to the host language constructors,
> > or you have a conflict. Any other way to attach this to a host PL?
>
> Not sure I follow. Apart from the fact that I was helping myself to a
> language feature that won't be present in Java until 1.5 (concise array
> literals) that *was* plain Java.

Sorry for not being clear; allow me to clarify. I was talking about the
possible requirement to attach this functionality under an existing object
hierarchy, for some reason.

For example, if our target PL was JavaScript, we would want to attach this
under the DOM implementation, since that is our connection with a document in
a browser. We would have to go through the existing DOM API (by extending
it), since it's the only acceptable pathway for both reading and mutating the
document.

So, supposing our library features a prefix of 'MM_', we would need something
like the following in Mozilla.

// standard way to create an element in Moz
var oElem = document.createElement("p");

// should be extended to also accept
var oElem = document.createElement(new MM_Element("<p>some text</p>"));

// which is equal to
var oElem = document.createElement("p");
var sNode =  document.createTextNode("some text");
oElem.appendChild(sNode);

Manos