   Re: [xml-dev] InnerXml is like printf (WAS: Underwhelmed)

"Dan Sullivan" <dsullivan@develop.com> wrote:

| Actually C# makes working with literal strings fairly easy,
|
| [...]
|    <item cost=""33"">asdfasdf</item>
| [...]

| You do have to but in double "'s for a double quote,

So, it isn't any easier than putting in a backslash, just less jarring
aesthetically.  Elliotte's point still stands: any language that needs
quotes to be escaped is problematic.

Note that the issue only comes up if one insists on writing tags in
strings.  That's the broken idea we need to get away from (because you
can't test the string for wellformedness before runtime, and by that time
the programmers have gone home, the product has shipped, and others are
footing the bills.)