   RE: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS: [xml-dev] XOM micro tutorial)

Elliotte Rusty Harold [mailto:elharo@metalab.unc.edu] wrote:

> >In my experience, it's these non-standard extensions that have
> >made the DOM somewhat understandable and usable to the majority
> >of Microsoft developers. For example, if you're on an element
> >node and access the text property, it returns the child text
> >node, imagine that!
>
> I don't think that's what it does. If that's true, that's not what my
> getValue() method does. What if there's more than one child text
> node? What if the text is interrupted by tags? What if there are
> child elements that contain text of their own?

I was citing the more common case of leaf text-only elements. Otherwise,
it should give you the string-value.

> But I think the text
> property does in fact do what my getValue() method does, but it may
> well have a confused a few developers about what text nodes are and
> where they are.

So you're saying that your getValue() method is also going to confuse
developers about text nodes?

--
Aaron Skonnard <http://skonnard.com>, DevelopMentor <http://develop.com>
   Essential XML Quick Reference available online in PDF format...

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most times he will
pick himself up and carry on. - Winston Churchill