   Turn off the Filters (WAS RE: [xml-dev] [Off-Topic] Who/What is flowserv

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Turn off the Filters (WAS RE: [xml-dev] [Off-Topic] Who/What is flowserve.com? (A Report to Sender Bogosity))
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:46:44 -0500

This is approximately the fourth or fifth time someone
has noted the imprecision of the *offensive* filters.

Imagine a system that collects bounced message events and
reports when some arbitrary threshhold is reached:  "Bailiff,
whack his Johnson!"  Sort of the ultimate Homeland Defense.

We really should turn these d**med things off and rely on
human common sense, tolerance, and the occasional if need
be note to a prolific offender.  We've gone way too far with
poor and imprecise technology in an effort to prevent minor
and altogether human offenses.  And note, they are easy to fool.

Frankly, they offend me. :-)

len

From: Richard Tobin [mailto:richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk]

In article <qkp1pu00567gea89nv53qnikr45bthc7br@4ax.com> you write:
> (What the heck was the "banned content", then?)

I think you'll find it was this:

> inevitably appears, more than a little clumsy.  [Note: I have a lot of
> hardcore C programming in my background!]  Either a lot of dissimilar or

See?  You used the word "hardcore".  I expect I'll get a bounce for this
message.