   RE: [xml-dev] Fwd: War of Attrition (was: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS

  • To: "Jonathan Robie" <jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Fwd: War of Attrition (was: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS: [xml-dev] XOM micro tutorial))
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:27:31 -0700

First of all,the formal semantics fails to define static typing since
most of its language refers to looking at the XML at runtime [which is
understandable given the type system is based on W3C XML Schema, a
validation language].

Secondly, please tell me where besides the Formal Semantics [which it
isn't even really defined in] where subtyping is comprehensively
described.

> So what subset of XQuery are you suggesting people use to
> avoid the formal semantics?

Don't touch anything involving subtyping, type equivalence or XSD
substitution groups with a 10 foot pole unless they are better examined
and defined by the working group.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
Don't think of it as being outnumbered and surrounded, think of it as a

rights.