   ANN: Converting Lexacy Data to XML using a Lexer/Parser Generator

Hi Folks,

I have created a couple of tutorials[1] which may be of interest:

   - "Converting Legacy Data to XML using a Lexer and Parser Generator".
   - "Using a Lexer/Parser Generator as a Multipurpose XML Tool Builder"

I find the use of a lexer/parser generator as an XML tool builder to be
quite interesting.  It enables you to seamlessly integrate the
definition of a grammar with a general purpose programming language.
[Kind of like having DTDs seamlessly integrated with a general purpose
programming language.]  I find this to be very powerful.

Example of one (of many) thing that you can do: create a single parser
that defines the grammar for your XML vocabulary, along with all
constraints, including co-constraints, all in a single tool. [Contrast
with implementing this using XML Schemas.  Since XML Schemas doesn't
support co-constraints you are forced to supplement the Schema with
another tool]

I am not clear in my mind where a "Lexer/Parser Generator as a
Multipurpose XML tool Builder" fits into the XML world, but I am
convinced that it is important and fits somewhere.  Thoughts?  /Roger

[1] http://www.xfront.com/parser-generator/legacy/legacy-to-xml.html
    http://www.xfront.com/parser-generator/tools/xml-tool-builder.html

For a download of the tutorials along with all the examples:
    http://www.xfront.com/parser-generator.zip