   rss 2.0 and the problem of infinite namespaces

I've been watching the RSS 2.0 stuff with a little bit of trepidation,
not because of the battle between Winer and various members of the
RSS-Dev community and all that stuff, really I could give a F*CK but
because there seems to be a movement in this "syndication format" to
allow every syndicator to choose their own namespaces, and to roll their
own elements for these namespaces. What does that make RSS then, a
language for writing syndication languages?

>From the RSS 2.0 spec "It's very simple. A RSS feed may contain elements
not described on this page, only if those elements are defined in a
namespace. "
http://backend.userland.com/rss

Sam Ruby's comment in his Blog:
http://radio.weblogs.com/0101679/2002/09/10.html#a818
...."hey, Jon, get your own namespace ".

and this article by Morbus Iff
http://www.disobey.com/detergent/2002/extendingrss2/

Now it's not like I cared much for RSS 1.0; I didn't, I didn't see the
point of RDF being in there, but this just seems crazy. Can anyone see
any sense to what seems to me an invitation to infinite namespacing?
Critiques?