   RE: [xml-dev] Namespaces 1.1

Richard,

thanks for mentioning it.

Looking at it -- I'm not convinced that allowing IRI references is a good
idea. There is existing code out there that assumes that every namespace
name in an XML document can be represented as a URI. With a IRI containing
non-ASCII characters, this is not true anymore. Translating to a URI will
not work because

- namespace identity is defined on a char-by-char basis, so the resulting
URI does *not* identify the same namespace and
- for a recipient of a "down-transformed" IRI there's no way to know it
originally used IRI syntax (so there'll be problems round-tripping them).

This is *not* an academic argument -- our WebDAV server implementation
relies on the fact that WebDAV properties are identified by URIs, and will
reject those which do not conform to the URI syntax. So when at some point
of time the WebDAV WG will have to decide about what do to with XML 1.1, it
may have to restrict the set a legal namespace names to URIs.

To satisfy I18N requirements (which I *do* understand), wouldn't it make
more sense to state that the characters in a namespace URI, when un-escaped,
SHOULD map to valid UTF-8 octet sequences (possibly normalized)?

Julian