   RE: [xml-dev] Fwd: War of Attrition (was: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS:

At 10:32 AM 9/26/2002 +0100, Bill de hÓra wrote:

>It looked highly procedural to me, given those conditional blocks and
>assignments. Is there a Prolog or XSLT flavoured variant? That would be
>declarative.

Hmm.... so this is procedural:

    for $b in document("bib.xml")//book
    return
      <publication>
        {
          $b/title,
          $b/author
        }
      <publication>

And this is declarative:

   <xsl:template match="//book">
       <publication>
          <xsl:copy-of select="title"/>
          <xsl:copy-of select="author"/>
       </publication>
   </xsl:template>

I don't see why one of these is any more declarative than the other.

Jonathan