   xsl:sort

Dear All,

    I have recently discovered an interesting
behavior of  <xsl:sort> statement. A had to sort
a not so large (3MByte) XML document that
has divisions of text. Divisions have a subjectcode
attribute and I would have liked to sort them by
the subjectcode. The program was the following:

version="1.0">
<xsl:output method="xml" encoding="iso-8859-1"/>

<xsl:template match="* | CDATA | @* | comment()">
  <xsl:copy>
    <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="body">
  <xsl:apply-templates select="div">
  <xsl:sort data-type="text" select="@subjectcode"/>
  </xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

For small files it works fine. In the case of larger files
the output seems to be good, but when one looks it
more closely, there are errors in the order of divisions
in the middle of the file. The first 20%, and the last 20%
was good, but not in between.
When I tried different XSLT interpreters, they all worked
so (XT.EXE, SAXON.EXE 6.2.1, MSXSL 3.0). Have
some of you an idea?

Zoltán Alexin, assistant lecturer
University of Szeged,
Department of Applied Informatics,