   Re: [xml-dev] Rethinking namespaces, attribute remapping (was Re:[xml-de

Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> [Joe English]
> >
> > Hm.  I didn't think HLink was intended to work that way.
> >
> > I thought the intent was something like: someone developing
> > a new XML vocabulary wants to include HLink semantics,
> > so includes an HLink mapping along with the rest of
> > the vocabulary specification (schema, documentation, etc.)
> > Application developers who want to use the new vocabulary
> > consult the HLink mapping when building their own application.
> > Something like how WSDL works -- web service clients don't
> > download WSDL at runtime, the _developer_ does when _building_
> > the client.
>  [...]
> I really don't understand any of this.  I'll just latch on to the one concret
> thing that struck me.
>
> If HLink is like WSDL, then Dare is right about the security issues.  These
> same security issues obtain with WSDL.  Tainting a WSDL can cause subtle
> application failures (for instance, messing with the data type definitions in
> the <types> section).  This is a security issue.

Apparently I'm very mistaken about how WSDL works.

I was under the impression that developers download
WSDL documents from service providers, feed them to
some kind of WSDL toolkit, point, click, drag, drop,
and out pops a working application that can access
the service; at that point the original Web Service
Description document is no longer needed.

Is that not the case?  Does the end user need the WSDL
file at runtime as well?

> If HLink is not like WSDL, i.e. apps do not use it to affect processing durin
> instance processing, then it seems entirely useless to me.  Why not just spel
> out the meaning of attributes right in the XHTML spec?

That would also work.  But if the linking parts are factored
out into a separate specification, then it's easier to reuse
them in other vocabularies.  As far as I can tell, HLink is
designed to aid XHTML modularization, not to enable blind
recognition of links.

> In either case, I don't remotely see how HLink is a potential replacement for
> namespaces.

I don't see that either, except in the sense that HLink
is a replacement for XLink, and XLink relies exclusively
on namespaces for identification while HLink adds other
mechanisms.

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com