   RE: [xml-dev] Validating documents against XML Schema with different nam

Aha! A fairly simple, yet elusive answer. Where does it say that
validateOnParse (default true) only does a lax validation? That could have
saved me a lot of trouble.
Anyway, thank you very much for the examples and quick reply! My faith in
MSXML is restored (for the moment...).

Strangely, though, I can't get a decent error message by using your
"validate()" trick. That is, I get one of two messages, depending on whether
I lack the correct namespace or having correct namespace+invalid data.
The ones I get are:
"Validate failed because the root element had no associated DTD/schema."
(-1072897500)
"Validate failed because the document does not contain exactly one root
node." (-1072897501)

These messages are obvious enough, even the latter one, because trying to
output the XMLDoc.xml property when having an invalid document yields only
an empty string. Thus, the document does of course lack a root node. It's
somewhat strange though, giving just that message, and not one where it says
exactly WHAT is wrong, and not only describing the symptoms of the error.
This means that for proper error logging, I have to combine the two
approaches, by both checking the parseError.errorCode after load, and if
that's OK, also perform the validate() and see if that fails. That way I can
log any schema violations with a decent error message, providing the
document uses the correct namespace, and finally trapping the cases where
the namespace itself is incorrect.

Case closed, I'd presume.

Mvh / Kind regards,
Morten Grøtan
morten.grotan@electricfarm.no
Utvikler, MCSD

Electric Farm ASA, Rosenkrantz gt. 21, NO-0160 OSLO, Norway,
http://www.electricfarm.no/