   Re: [xml-dev] limits of the generic

/ "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> was heard to say:
| Norm Walsh writes:
|> In any event, I think it's quite a leap from "the TAG thinks HTML
|> should use XLink" to "the whole world must use XLink (or some other
|> technology)"
|
| I'm sorry, but I don't see the distinction,

Really. Uhm.

  "Group A thinks Group B should use technology C".

vs.

  "Group A thinks everybody should use technology C".

The former is compatible with other Groups using (or not using)
technology C as appropriate. The latter isn't. What the TAG said was
firmly in the former class.

| except that XHTML operates
| under W3C auspices and is therefore more easily ordered about.

I can sometimes order my dog about, that's as far as my command extends.

| The W3C
| continuously and unapologetically keeps turning out "XML-whatever"
| specifications, promoting this notion of the W3C as keeper of a coherent
| "XML family" of specs, and getting rather snippy whenever their
| technical judgment or political wisdom is challenged.

Is this relevant?

| (Given how lousy a fit XLink is to what the XHTML WG seems to be trying
| to accomplish, the generic-trumps-specific message seems remarkably
| plain.)

I don't think it's a lousy fit. And yes, I think generic trumps
specific sometimes. In particular, I think the fact that SVG, MathML
(maybe), XBRL, and others are using XLink, and Mozilla is starting to
support it, means there's value in using it in XHTML.

| It's time to get over the notion that a committee of experts can solve
| semantic problems for a wide range of problems.  It was very nice of the
| W3C to provide a home for the simplification of SGML and give us a
| useful syntax, but the results since then have been hideous - and in
| large part because the world takes the W3C's pretensions seriously.

<shrug/>

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

- --