   RE: [xml-dev] Are hyperlinks presentation or content?

Why does it matter where you move it if
you move it at all?  In other words, CSS is
yet another declarative format.  The
font-family vs hyperlink semantic is a
red herring but you are onto an interesting
question?  Is it presentation or content
at all?  (Hint: Hypertext is a retrograde
form of a GUI in which controls have been
dropped into content using content as
the GUI). MACs fixed that problem.

Remember, we used to move documents around
in completely self-descriptive forms.  We
called it RTF, or even DSR.  But that is
exactly what we wanted to get away from so
we divided these, some say into presentation
vs content, some say processing vs content,
and so on.  There is some muddle in that
division, but, how many pieces should we
divide it into and who gets the hyperlink?

O DTD/Schema

O CSS

O As yet undesigned language for hyperlinks
that looks a lot like arch forms

The wrinkle is what kind of information is
in a hyperlink?

URI - The URI tells us it is a hyperlink.

<a tells us we can make it blue and clickable.
Important note: presentation is tied directly
to its status as a GUI control.

href = Look for the hyperlink here.

Complicated beastie but the problem is what
<a tells us.

It isn't that they are presentation or content,
but that they are also controls and names.

len