   Re: [xml-dev] XML document/message versioning -- possible model?

once one has identified the version, one must still decide whether one can do anything with the content. which depends on whether one can associate the generic
identifiers with processes.

it is possible to delegate part of this decison to a validating parser and then make the ultimate decision based on the namespace name, the schema name, or a
combination of the two, but the ultimate decision is still whether an individual name is processable.

which is why any mechanism which limits the relation between two versions to that between two namespace/schema names will suffer from the disadvantages listed
in the original message.

a more expressive and effective alternative is to associate the processes with static sets of names and to describe versions in terms of relations between the
names in the respective namespace/schema. the description may  be realized as an architecture[0], a name mapping[1], or a direct declaration for namespaces[2].

[0] http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/wg8/docs/n1920/html/clause-A.3.1.html
[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200209/msg00508.html
[2] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200105/msg00112.html