   Re: [xml-dev] Are hyperlinks presentation or content?

Me:
>| This also explains why XSLT has been such a successful and widely used
>| technology. It embraces this truth, rather than fighting it.

Norm:
>What truth is that? There's nothing variable about the syntax of XSLT.
>If you want a template, you type <xsl-prefix:template> and if you want
>to select the value of something, you type <xsl-prefix:value-of
>select="expression"/>.

Yes, if you want XSLT you MUST use XSLT is written.

What I meant was that it allows people to share documents with needing to
agree on the same syntax. You can produce stuff in Docbook, and I can use it
with tools for viewing HTML, and there's no problem because XSLT lets us
bridge this gap.

Company A can use one set of GIs, and Company B can use a different set.
They can differ on the old element-vs-attribute question, and whether all
lowercase is better than CamelCase. Useful interchange of documents is only
slightly impaired, as each can use XSLT to translate to the "local standard"
representation.

XSLT enables everyone to use the syntax they like.

-Wayne Steele