   RE: [xml-dev] well-formed Web

Dare writes:
> I'm having difficulty understanding your arguments and it seems you
> are debating several issues at once and conflating them together.
> From what I gather you think Microsoft overhyped XML, Joe Gregorio
> has put forth a ground breaking idea and Web Services are worthless.
> I disagree with all three but since I doubt anything worthwhile will
> come out of engaging in verbal sniping with you, I'll just be on my
> way.

I'm afraid that makes it more difficult to understand or appreciate your
arguments.  To summarize mine, since your summary is so remarkably off:

1) You claim that the use of XML is unimportant, which has irony given
your employer's consistent claims that XML is a crucial component of
what they're doing.

2) I've never claimed that Joe's piece is ground breaking - I described
it as "a lot like what "SGML for the Web" sounded like to me in 1997,
but never was" when I first introduced it.  It's nice to see pieces that
suggest the original vision might have had merit.

3) Web Services?  Sure.  You got me on that one.  Worthless is generous.
Dangerous distraction is a better way to put it.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether