   Interoperability through Serenity (was Re: [xml-dev] xsd validation)

10/3/2002 8:31:06 AM, "W. E. Perry" <wperry@fiduciary.com> wrote:

>Aaron Skonnard wrote:
>
>> the whole point of Web services is that you
>> don't have control over both sides.
>
>But you do if you are the *service* and are properly (RESTfully?) designed
>around document in/document out.

I just discovered Uche's article at http://www.adtmag.com/print.asp?id=6807
It is a very concise and wise discussion of the issues in this thread,
and I recommend it to all.

"Since the promise of interoperability is a key draw of XML, developers
fuss to build all-encompassing agreements into which we can fit our
conforming XML documents. This can lead to quite byzantine formats...
the markup state of mind suggests a calmer approach: One achieves
interoperability by not striving too consciously for it.

If locally convenient global rules are available, use them, but
beware of designing document framework with all users and uses in mind.
As documents move between systems, trust the remote system's ability to
interpret the document to meet its own local needs.
This is known as the principle of loose coupling, and is reminiscent
of the idea of late binding in programming theory....

Markup systems have enjoyed the sort of large-scale successes and
longevity of deployments that have often eluded mainstream code."

BTW, Uche, are there any specific examples of these "large scale successes
of markup" that you could cite for our further edification?