   Re: [xml-dev] Interoperability through Serenity (was Re: [xml-dev] xsd v

> 10/3/2002 8:31:06 AM, "W. E. Perry" <wperry@fiduciary.com> wrote:
>
> >Aaron Skonnard wrote:
> >
> >> the whole point of Web services is that you
> >> don't have control over both sides.
> >
> >But you do if you are the *service* and are properly (RESTfully?) designed
> >around document in/document out.
>

> I just discovered Uche's article at http://www.adtmag.com/print.asp?id=6807
> It is a very concise and wise discussion of the issues in this thread,
> and I recommend it to all.

Thanks, kindly, Mike.

I do want to point out that the article was rather ruthlessly edited for
space.  ADT mag is a print journal, and I guess I can only blame myself for
submitting too long a manuscript (once I get going...)  I mean to check what I
need to do to post my draft without getting into trouble, because I think it
develops the key points a bit more fully.

> "Since the promise of interoperability is a key draw of XML, developers
> fuss to build all-encompassing agreements into which we can fit our
> conforming XML documents. This can lead to quite byzantine formats...
> the markup state of mind suggests a calmer approach: One achieves
> interoperability by not striving too consciously for it.
>
> If locally convenient global rules are available, use them, but
> beware of designing document framework with all users and uses in mind.
> As documents move between systems, trust the remote system's ability to
> interpret the document to meet its own local needs.
> This is known as the principle of loose coupling, and is reminiscent
> of the idea of late binding in programming theory....
>
> Markup systems have enjoyed the sort of large-scale successes and
> longevity of deployments that have often eluded mainstream code."

BTW, Walter Perry, Sean McGrath, Paul Prescod and many others have been saying
this for years.  I just hope my article helped make the point a bit more
accessible.

> BTW, Uche, are there any specific examples of these "large scale successes
> of markup" that you could cite for our further edification?

The oft-cited early users of markup in aircraft industries as well as
international publishing, for example.  The SGML old-heads about can probably
fill in much more than I can.

Apache 2.0 API - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-apache/
Python&XML column: Tour of Python/XML - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/18/py.
html