   Re: [xml-dev] What is a rational user to do? (was RE: [xml-dev] xsd

Tim Bray scripsit:

> Not only that, but it's kind of what's happening.  If I may indulge in
> horrid overgeneralization, there seem to be two kinds of XML projects:
> those where they send some emails and examples back and forth and are
> now in production, and those where they strike a task force to assemble
> the schemas, and the project is still in committee stage. -Tim

Reuters Health takes a third road, the Fascist-Publisher approach.
"All our news conforms to one of these two DTDs.  One is a subset of
HTML with some additional elements, the other is IPTC NewsML.  Take it
or leave it."  [In fact we publish in plain text, too.]

The only problem with this approach is the following too-often-repeated dialogue:

Me: We can provide you with news in HTML.

Hapless Customer: Don't you have XML?

Me: Our HTML news *is* well-formed XML.  [It would be valid, but there
is no DOCTYPE declaration, to prevent hammering on our DTD.]

HC: But we want XML, not HTML!

Me:  As I say, our HTML news *is* well-formed XML.  [Noch einmal]

--
First known example of political correctness:   John Cowan
"After Nurhachi had united all the other        http://www.reutershealth.com