   RE: [xml-dev] SGML on the Web

Dare Obasanjo asks:
> 1.) Why should anyone care about SGML on the Web?

It is at times interesting to compare original motivations with results,
especially if those motivations may still be playing through in current
politics.

> 2.) Where do you get your statements about the motivations of the
> implementers of the Web browser at Microsoft?

I presume you're asking about this:
> > XML directly on the Web seems to have fallen victim to the
> > notion that XML needed a transformative style approach,
> > missing the easy opportunity that CSS provided for document
> > display and requiring people to use XSLT.
> > That notion has also provided Microsoft with plenty of cover
> > for their (non-)approach to XML in the browser, which may
> > have successfully kept XML off the ordinary Web.

My understandings of Microsoft motivations with regard to Internet
Explorer are derived from questions asked of Microsoft personnel at a
variety of XML and Web development conferences in situations ranging
from questions at the end of presentations to encounters at Microsoft's
floor booths to the speaker rooms of various conferences, as well as on
the Web Standards Project's public lists.

I haven't spent a lot of time with Microsoft employees in bar
conversation, so I'm afraid I don't have any particularly salacious
details.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether