   XPath for Infoset extensions [was Annotations in XPath-NG?]

John Cowan and I have been pushing around the idea that it should be a
requirement on 'official' infoset extensions that they come with a
serialisation.  I'd like to see this happen, for example along the
lines of the various reflections Richard Tobin and I have explored for
the PSVI.  It would be a simple step to allow XPaths to navigate
extensions via a pretend reflection.  All that's required is a
function 'reflect(property)', whose value would be a reflection of the
value of an infoset property of the current node.  So, for instance,
to access the appinfo annotation of the type used to validate an
'apple' element child of the current node, you'd say:

  apple/reflect("type_definition")/annotation/appinfo

You could of course navigate the vanilla infoset this way.  The
equivalent of /*/apple/@banana would look like

  /property("document_element")/children/element[local_name="apple"]/attributes/attribute[local_name="banana"]

ht