   Re: [xml-dev] XPath for Infoset extensions [was Annotations in XPath-NG?

Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> John Cowan and I have been pushing around the idea that it should be a
> requirement on 'official' infoset extensions that they come with a
> serialisation.  I'd like to see this happen, for example along the
> lines of the various reflections Richard Tobin and I have explored for
> the PSVI.  It would be a simple step to allow XPaths to navigate
> extensions via a pretend reflection.  All that's required is a
> function 'reflect(property)', whose value would be a reflection of the
> value of an infoset property of the current node.  So, for instance,
> to access the appinfo annotation of the type used to validate an
> 'apple' element child of the current node, you'd say:
>
>   apple/reflect("type_definition")/annotation/appinfo
>
> You could of course navigate the vanilla infoset this way.  The
> equivalent of /*/apple/@banana would look like
>
>   /property("document_element")/children/element[local_name="apple"]/attributes/attribute[local_name="banana"]

Yes, direct PSVI access would be one possible application of an annotation axis or function
(as Jeni suggested with foo/#psvi:type-definition in an earlier post), but I see no
point in limiting it to PSVI and PSVI only access as your reflect function suggests.

Cheers,
David