   RE: [xml-dev] Re: Divorcing Data Model and Syntax: was Re: [xml-dev] he

I think you miss the point of Jeni and Patrick's work.  The Syntax of XML
does not allow for overlapping markup, something Jeni, Patrick, myself and
others have to deal with on a regular basis.  LMNL and JITTs both provide
mechanisms to resolve those problems.  If these problems aren't the ones you
need to deal with, it doesn't invalidate their approach or the results.
Forcing their problems into using an XML 1.0 syntax ignores the requirements
of their problem, and for what purpose?  To fit the work into something that
can be used in XML?  Why is that necessary?  They've both extended the
notion of markup in such a way as to provide for a missing capability in
XML, the ability to use overlapping markup.  Sure, you could develop an XML
syntax that models their data in such a way as to provide for an XML
serialization of it, but that ignores the human requirements of being able
to easily interpret and edit that markup [remember, none of this is
important without humans... ;-)]

FYI, Most of us routinely build processors over the various models implied
by XML 1.0.  We wouldn't be writing/listening here if we didn't.

Respectfully,

	Keith W. Boone

Engineering is what happens when science and
mathematics meet politics.  Products are what
happens when all three meet reality.