   Re: [xml-dev] When validation is appropriate

Hi Rick,

> The question that springs to my mind is "what kinds of constraints
> are these quality control tools implementing?" -- are they the kinds
> of things that Schematron is good at, or the kind of things that WXS
> is good at (or both or neither)?

In my experience (admittedly limited to a single publisher), the
majority are co-occurrence constraints that could be handled by
Schematron but not by W3C XML Schema.

Some of them could be handled by W3C XML Schema, but would be quite
tricky to do (e.g. something that says that all the text within a
particular element, at any level, must be in lowercase).

Some are enforcing naming conventions, which could be done with either
language to a certain extent, though Schematron is probably more
helpful (e.g. when the name includes a counter that needs to increment
by one for each instance)

I've just had to add a new one to check on the location of processing
instructions; again, that's something that Schematron could handle,
but W3C XML Schema can't.

There are things that Schematron can't do (because of XPath
limitations rather than Schematron limitations), in particular
checking whether referenced documents actually exist. I'm told that
there are others, but I'm not sure what they are.

(I'll see whether I can persuade the publisher to release the list to
you.)

Cheers,

Jeni

---