   Re: [xml-dev] heritage (was Re: [xml-dev] SGML on the Web)

[Sean McGrath]
 >>In my experience, they always hit a bunch of gotchas if they stray beyond
 >>the gang-of-four concepts of start-tag, end-tag, attribute and pcdata.

[Tim Bray]
 >I agree with the idea of staying with
start-tag/end-tag/attribute/pcdata.  Most people do.

Tim's statement is a very important one. When XML works it world because people
keep it real simple - using only a subset of XML 1.0. This is *exactly* what
the Web Services folk have done.

Its ironic. A couple of years ago I was part of an attempt to specify this
interoperable
core and got shot down for it. Along comes Web Services, SOAP etc, they subset
XML and nobody even whimpers!

Oh well.

Sean