   Re: [xml-dev] heritage (was Re: [xml-dev] SGML on the Web)

Sean McGrath wrote:

>  >but they can often deal with each others' serialized output.
> In my experience, they always hit a bunch of gotchas if they stray beyond
> the gang-of-four concepts of start-tag, end-tag, attribute and pcdata.
> Even then, really simple sounding
> things like white space, end-of-line handling etc. continue to *always*
> bite.

I agree with the idea of staying with
start-tag/end-tag/attribute/pcdata.  Most people do.

I also agree that with document-oriented applications, white space
handing is a *nightmare*.  Less of a nightmare in XML than SGML because
at least mere mortals can comprehend which whitespace is part of the
data.  Not a big deal in database/tuple/transactions in my experience.  -Tim