   RE: RE: RE: [xml-dev] Great piece on RSS

At 10:21 AM -0500 10/10/02, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

>Thanks for making the point.  Worse is worse,
>but better needs requirements to insure it is better.
>Better than what is an operative question.
>Do we want Google to "evolve" into a business
>registry where the opinions of the competitors
>determine the ranking instead of the registered
>assertions of the vendor so registered?

I give much more weight to what a business registry where the
opinions of the *customers* determine the ranking of a vendor than
one that depends on the registered assertions of the vendor so
registered. That, in effect, is what Google does today for the Web.
The more happy customers a site has, the higher it ranks. Google's
algorithm for determining customer happiness is heavily based  on
linking, not perfect, but the best we've got so far. I trust this
much more than search engines that sell placement, contract or no.

No, this isn't exactly what UDDI does, but I still think there's a
lesson to be learned here about the emergent behavior of gathering
many small opinions vs. trying to rely on a few centralized systems,
experts, and contracts.