   RE: RE: RE: [xml-dev] Great piece on RSS

It is case by case, Elliotte.  Some will
sue and protest, others take their lumps
and move on.   Take note that in public
safety, we are selling to the governments
(really, agencies who get their directions
from their local councils).  Policies vary
by locale.  I think the distinction I made
to John is important:  to whom does the
contract reserve rights.  Shrinkwrap is
different from systems integration sales.

We get into the odd position of having
to sell integrated systems that we control
(our own software) and systems that we
have to assert work as advertised
(operating systems).  In the second case,
we take exception where possible and can
because the customer names the operating
system, so we can make it their responsibility.

And yes, if one protests a procurement, one
incurs the wrath of the procurement officials.
Much depends at that point on the politics of
the local councils, etc.  If the bid was
technically sound and protested on a nit,
then the nitwit that protests doesn't do
themselves much good.  OTOH, timing is everything.
Protesting just before an election can give
the council opponents fodder for their TV ads.
Depending on the election results and how
effective the smear was, the whole business
is tainted and the CYA act gets emotional.

The example of failing to procure the lowest
bid is illuminating; the opponent couples
it to the failure to fund education and
then the media is engaged to promote the
perception of an insider deal that helps
the official's brother to the detriment
of the children.   Now the emotions are
fully engaged and the forebrain is disengaged,
and well... crap.   It takes some smooth
talking to get them to remember that a cheaper
system that is unreliable is far more
dangerous to Everyone.  Again, frequency
of statement and the membership of the
hearer in an interpretive community are
the key properties of rhetorical marketing.

This kind of thing is a nightmare but not
exceptional.

len