   RE: [xml-dev] Great piece on RSS

They are both self-assertion (the registration
information and the vendor web page).  I see
your point, but more and more, I see the issue
as ranking and gaming a ranked position.  Sure,
you can sell yourself as a space tourism business,
but if you sell me that and sign the contract,
you better bankrupt before we get to court.  On
the other hand, if a group gets together and
starts hyperlinking to your web page based
on their perception that you are in the space
tourism business, and Google sends me to your
page, if you haven't asserted anything to that
effect, Google is wrong.  No fault IMO, but
I will try to avoid Google if it lies.  Your
registering as such is a different issue.

In short, given multple references, I will
initially trust your self assertions based
on the document type you assert and the
contents of the document of that type.  If you lie,
I sue.  If you deliver, I pay.  It doesn't
matter if I discover you based on Google or
UDDI.  It does matter how I integrate.

len

From: Paul Prescod [mailto:paul@prescod.net]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Nothing except that it is based on self-assertion, not
> heresay.

What is self assertion? If I go to "uddi.microsoft.com" to get
information about BEA, how is that more self assertion then if I go to
bea.com to get information about BEA (as is done in standard Web
architecture?).