   RE: [xml-dev] RE: SGML On The Web

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> SGML and XML buy you many more things than can Tag Soupish
> HTML, though they certainly can provide the same things as
> HTML.  I think the problem for XML has been convincing
> anyone that they actually need those additional things, and
> Tag Soup continues to dominate in the absence of any
> convincing need for serious change.

It will take a leader to change that.  The possibilities of software
consuming web pages would be convincing enough, I would think.  XPath
queries on tag soup doesn't work very well...

If, say, Google were to return predictable XHTML (even as text/html)...
Or Microsoft were to generate it for their MSDN pages... Or
Amazon.com...  Etc.

/Jelks