   Re: [xml-dev] RE: SGML On The Web

Arjun Ray writes:
> Only if they want to build information systems, which however they
> don't.

Some do, some don't.  XML folks have done a poor job (IMHO) in making
much of a case even with people whose content management systems are
well past the line as reasonable candidate for information systems.

Tools like Cocoon and AxKit give me some hope in that department.

More generally, I think it's fair to say that lots of
information-systems builders found themselves on the street as
browser-based approaches blew the short-term pricing doors off the
client-server market.  Client-serverish approaches seem to be
resurfacing in Web Services kind of stuff, but I see no sign that that
end of the market has learned very much from the Web experience.
Instead of integrating richer information with the Web approach, we're
just getting RPC and basic messaging redux with an extra dose of
marketing.  But maybe there's an information system there...

> "The" web is about vanity and brochureware.  Why should that change?

Given that attitude, I would not expect change any time soon.
Fortunately, I don't think your description applies to significant parts
of the Web ecosystem, especially the application-building end.

> | Perhaps XML would be wise to take a similar approach;
>
> XML has been trying, and failing.

More precisely, the W3C has been trying, unable to tame its larger
ambitions, and failing.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether